How to Open An Etsy Shop: Intro
Congratulations on being ready to open your first shop on Etsy! This marketplace is perfect for new handmade shop owners. Starting a business is an overwhelming process, and having help from Etsy and this community can help ensure you get started down the right path. This is one of the most important steps to becoming a successful shop owner. Now is the perfect time to open your Etsy shop. Follow the guide below to learn how to open an Etsy shop!
Why I created this Guide
I have created this in-depth guide explaining how to open an Etsy shop to help beginners open their first handmade business. I go in to detail, so experienced shop owners may only need to skim this guide. If you already have an Etsy user account, you can skip to the Open Your Etsy Shop section below. You can learn more about Etsy’s history on my Company Overview post.
How to Open An Etsy Shop: The Ultimate Guide
As stated above, this is a detailed step-by-step guide to help you learn How to Open An Etsy Shop. This guide is for beginners and is very easy to follow.
Register A New Etsy User Account
Create a new user account to access the Etsy website.
- Go to the Etsy website and click Register (top right corner of page)
- Enter the required information including: First Name, Last Name, Email, Password, and Username*
- Click Register
- Confirm your account by logging in to the email that you provided, select the Confirm your Etsy Account email, click on the confirmation link.
*It is important to create a username that you are comfortable with because you will not be able to change it after opening your account.
Edit User Profile
After creating your new Etsy user account,
- You should already be logged in, but if not, go to the Etsy website here and Log in to your Etsy account by clicking Sign In
- After you are logged in, click You at the top right corner of your screen. Then click View Profile, then Edit Profile.
- At the top of the screen is your profile picture. Click Choose File then upload and crop an appropriate picture. Remember, this picture can be changed at any time but it will be seen by your future customers.
- Check that your Name information is accurate
- If desired, you can enter Gender, City, and Birthday Info
- Fill out the About section with general information about you. You will be able to edit it later, if desired. You will want to eventually optimize this area to speak to your potential customers.
- Fill out the Favorite Materials section if you know what materials you will be working with. If not, you can edit this section later.
Planning & Analysis
Before you proceed to opening your Etsy Shop, I suggest you have already completed the necessary research and you know what category or niche you will be selling in and an idea for some products.
- Come up with category or niche ideas.
- Come up with product ideas.
- Create a sample product listing. Create your item, take pictures, create a title/name, write a description
Open Your Etsy Shop
- Think of a shop names. I suggest coming up with at least three unique names in case they are already taken.
- Log in to your Etsy user account and click the Open a shop button at the bottom of the screen, or click the link here.
- Fill out shop preferences including Shop Language, Shop Currency, and Shop Country. You are also required to select whether you plan on selling full time, part time, or “other.” Etsy uses this selection info for their own records. After you fill out this page, click Save and continue.
- Next, you will be prompted to select a shop name. Fill in your top name idea and click Check availability. If the name is taken, choose your next name. Proceed until you find an available shop name, click Save & continue
- The next step is labeled Stock Your Shop. Etsy forces you to create a product listing at this time. By following my directions, you should already have a sample product listing ready.
- Click Add a listing and fill in the required information. Click Save and continue. If you would like to enter more listings, feel free to add them at this time. When you are finished, select Save and continue to proceed to the next step.
- The next step is How you’ll get paid. Select your country and the required bank account information including: Full name on account, account type, account number, and routing number. Then they will need more personal information from you including: Country of residence, first name, last name, date of birth, the last 4 of your ssn, your home address info, and your phone number. Click Save and continue to proceed to the set up billing section.
- The last step is the set up billing section. Enter the information for the account you would like to use to make your shop payments.
Congratulations, now your shop is open!
How to Open An Etsy Shop: Video
Detailed video guide coming soon!
How to Open An Etsy Shop: Conclusion
Hopefully this step-by-step guide has helped you open your first handmade shop on Etsy. You’re now well on your way on your way to becoming a successful business owner! Feel free to contact me if you are having any difficulties. Now is a good time to read my post detailing Etsy Fees.
Have you had any difficulties opening an Etsy shop? Do you have any tips dealing with how to open an Etsy shop? Share them below and help expand the information found in this community.